Sunday, May 22, 2011

End of Greece, Beginning of Italy

So, this morning was our last bit of time in Greece. It had been a long, but interesting week. All in all, I loved Santorini, it was incredible and I want to go back there some day. Athens, on the other hand, I didn't love. Overall, it was a decent city, but I probably will not return there. We got to see all of the historical sites while we were there like the Acropolis, the Acropolis Museum, Delphi, and all of the ancient greek ruins that surround the city, and all of those things were great.  The Acropolis museum was really incredible. They had so many ancient sculptures from like the 5th and 6th century BC.  I felt like all of the history was overwhelming at times, just so long ago and so much history to keep track of in that place! I think my favorite part about Greece was all of the animals roaming the streets. There were literally cats and dogs everywhere. They were all so friendly and very well-fed. Im not sure if i mentioned this in other posts, but the city has little dog and cat feeding trays throughout the city to keep all the animals fed; they must like having them around too!  I am so very grateful and happy I was able to visit that city, but I am also very excited to return to Italy. Today we caught an afternoon flight to Naples from Athens (first flight to leave on time for us this trip :)) and then we got on a bus that took us to the port (Molo Beverello marina) to get on a 'hydrofil' to take us to Capri, where I currently am.  The hydrofil is like a very fast ferry, it cuts the transit time in more than half.  Naples was a very disappointing city. There was literally garbage everywhere you looked. We were waiting to get on the bus at the train station after validating our Eurail passes for future training and there were people literally buying what seemed like garbage from one another. It was very sad to watch. The people here seem very polite and helpful, just like in Greece.  Capri is a beautiful island as well.  It is so green here and it seems very authentic Italian.  Tomorrow we are planning a Blue Grotta tour and a small walking excursion of the island.  I will be putting pics us either today or tomorrow! Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment